Skip to main content

Jenks still has a say in District 6AI-1 race after rallying to beat Broken Arrow

Trojans rally from a pair of 2-TD deficits to prevail in overtime, 35-34
  • Author:
  • Updated:

By Mike Moguin | Photo by David C. Fisher

JENKS - You can never count out Jenks football. 

The Trojans added another testament to that fact as they rallied from a pair of two-touchdown deficits twice to beat Broken Arrow, 35-34, in overtime Friday night at Allan Trimble Stadium. It was another classic battle between the longtime rivals.

The deciding play came when Ashton Cunningham blocked the extra point after a Tiger TD that would have sent the game into a second overtime.

“That was the most stunning point of that game,” Jenks quarterback Ike Owens said.

Kayden Jones scored the Broken Arrow TD from a yard out before the blocked PAT that gave Jenks the win.

Jenks (7-2, 5-1 District 6AI-1) can still force at least a share of the district championship next week. The Trojans, who are tied with Norman North for second place, goes to rival Bixby on Thursday night for an ESPN-televised game.

Bixby, which has won an 11-man state record 58 straight games, leads 6AI-1 with a 6-0 record. Jenks also hopes for a loss by Norman North in its regular-season finale next week, as the Timberwolves hold the head-to-head tiebreaker against the Trojans.

But the Trojans are still processing their unbelievable comeback on Friday against BA.

Both teams went into the extra period tied at 28-all.

Owens scored the go-ahead TD in the extra period on a 1-yard quarterback sneak to make it 35-28.

“So proud of our kids for battling back,” Jenks coach Keith Riggs said. “They jumped on us by 14 quick and we got right back in it. Then we had the fumble recovery in the second half they ran back for a touchdown, but our kids responded.

"We just kept coaching them up and the kids kept playing. That type of attitude and resilience will pay off down the road in close games and in the playoffs.”

Even down double digits, Owens was one of the Trojans who still believed.

“When it was 28-14, I knew we still had the game in hand. We were driving the field all game,” Owens said. “And the defense and the offense did a great job in the fourth quarter.”

Owens overcame the adversity he was dealt in the third quarter when he threw an interception to BA’s Dietrick Moore at the goal line, stopping Jenks’ opening second-half drive. Then on the next drive, Owens fumbled a snap that Tiger linebacker Sterling Condry took back for a 55-yard TD, which made it 28-14 with 2:03 left in the third quarter.

“It was a wet game and kind of a lower snap,” Owens said. “So, I couldn’t field it right and they took it down and scored.

"It was frustrating, but we bounced back.”

The Trojan comeback unraveled two possessions later and into the fourth quarter.

After being moved back to the 31 on an intentional grounding call, Owens threw a pass to Jaiden Carroll, who ran to the end zone for that yardage, trimming the deficit to 28-21 with 6:58 left.

Jenks had come alive by that point as it kept Broken Arrow (3-6, 3-3) in check, and the Trojans eventually got the ball right back.

Owens then connected with Ty Walls, who broke open for a 54-yard TD to tie the game with 2:42 left in regulation,

Keeping its upset hopes alive, Broken Arrow relied on the run to get to the Jenks 28, then was faced with a fourth down.

As the Tigers lined up for what looked to be a 45-yard field goal, they instead attempted a fake, with the holder throwing a pass. But the open receiver dropped the pass.

Jenks took over, took knees and overtime it went.

The game began like a fireworks show.

Broken Arrow opened the game with Owen Jones throwing to tight end Joshua Willhite in the end zone for a 17-yard touchdown less than three minutes in.

The Tigers’ defense forced Jenks to a three-and-out. Then in one play on the next drive, Nate Jones took the ball in Wildcat formation, went straight through a hole in the line of scrimmage, and zipped 54 yards to the goal line, boosting the Tigers to a 14-0 lead.

Being down by two TDs spurred the Trojans.

In one play, Owens threw to Carroll, who zoomed 70 yards for a TD and Jenks was down by one score.

On their next possession, Jalyn “Zeus” Stanford took the handoff and ran 57 yards for the tying TD, knotting it at 14-all with 3:29 left in the first quarter.

Then the light rain came and the game got more defensive.

The Tigers took the lead right back in the second quarter.

With third-and-9 at the Jenks 30-yard line, Owen Jones threw a pass to Kade Matthews for a go-ahead TD with 6:33 left in the half. Broken Arrow took that 21-14 advantage into halftime.

Jenks drove to the Broken Arrow 21 on the drive after BA took the lead, but it stalled when Carroll was stopped for a 2-yard loss by four Tiger defenders on fourth down.

Jenks drove to tie it again before halftime, then attempted a 50-yard field goal with hopes of drawing within four points. But the kick went wide left.